Military

Camp Hero

History: 

Camp Hero was established on this strategically important parcel of land in 1942. Montauk, located roughly half way between two major cities, was seen as a likely invasion point, and with German submarines spotted constantly along the coast line, this seemed an ideal location for defense. The Navy and Coast Guard also began developing in the surrounding area, combining to make Camp Hero quite formidable.

Fort Wetherill

History: 

Military activity began on this site as early as the 18th century with the British, French and Americans occupying "Dumpling Rock at various points until abandoned in 1779.

In 1798, the US Army began construction of a new fort that, while officially called Fort Louis, and later Fort Brown, would always be known simply as Fort Dumpling.

North Truro AFS

History: 

Operations began here in 1951 with the 762d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron moved in with two WWII-era AN/CPS-3 radars. Its role at this point was as a Ground Control Intercept station, vectoring intercept aircraft toward unidentified targets. In 1955, the AN/FPS-8 radar was added to the base. This system was upgraded to AN/GPS-3 before being removed from service in 1960. In 1956, the primary search radar was the CPS-6B.

Fort Foster

History: 

In 1872, the Federal Government acquired the land to build an additional fort to aid in the protection of the harbour of Portsmouth, NH. The plans called for a combination earthwork / concrete battery comprised of 12 guns. The parapet and gun platforms were finished, as well as 2 magazines when work stopped. Work resumed, briefly, in 1879, stopped again, and all construction abandoned.

Fort William and Mary

History: 

Fort William and Mary was first constructed by the British in 1632 to defend the harbour at Portsmouth. On December 14, 1774, it was raided by locals led by John Langdon. The garrison of 5 men and one officer were easily overrun by Langdon's 40 volunteers who took 72 barrels of gun powder. A day later, another group of rebels, this time led by John Sullivan, again raided the fort taking all of the arms, supplies and some cannons.

Fort McNutt

History: 

During WWII, Shelburne, Nova Scotia was designated as an alternate port to Halifax Harbour. As such, the entrance to the Roseway River needed to be protected. Fort McNutt was constructed in 1939, and was in operation until 1943. It was garrisoned by the 104th Coast Artillery Battery.