Abandoned / Repurposed
Prior to 1912, Coniston was mostly a farming community. The Mond Nickel Company decided to build a new facility, and felt that Coniston was ideal due to the close proximity of both major railroads.
Construction of a new smelter began immediately. Mond would continue to develop Coniston, not just as a nickel plant, but also as a town until 1928 when it would be bought out by INCO.
INCO would continue to expand its presence here, and the growth of Coniston until January, 1972. INCO announced it would began phasing back production at the Coniston facility due to government restrictions being placed on environmental damage. Three months later, the plant was closed completely. Many workers either took early retirement, or followed the shift of production from Coniston to INCO's facility in Copper Cliff.
The plant began to deteriorate quickly, and in 1976, the decision was made to demolish the buildings completely.
Source: Coniston Historical Group