United States

Quincy Mine

Submitted by Mike on Tue, 10/11/2011 - 15:15

History: 

The Quincy Mining Company was formed in 1846 as the result of a clerical error. During the great mining rush of the area, the same piece of land was inadvertently sold to two different parties. After discussions between the directors of the two interests, it was decided they should merge their interests and proceed.

Camp Hero

Submitted by Mike on Wed, 08/24/2011 - 15:15

History: 

Camp Hero was established on this strategically important parcel of land in 1942. Montauk, located roughly half way between two major cities, was seen as a likely invasion point, and with German submarines spotted constantly along the coast line, this seemed an ideal location for defense. The Navy and Coast Guard also began developing in the surrounding area, combining to make Camp Hero quite formidable.

Bannerman's Arsenal

Submitted by Mike on Mon, 08/15/2011 - 15:15

History: 

Pollepel Island is located in the Hudson River approximately 80km north of New York City. It was first discovered by early Dutch settlers from New York City, and was widely regarded by the native population to be haunted.

Staten Island Poor Colony

Submitted by Mike on Thu, 08/11/2011 - 15:15

History: 

On October 23, 1829, Richmond County purchased the property from Stephen Martino for $3,000. The Richmond County Poor Farm opened as a home for the sick, homeless, alcoholics, unwanted children and the elderly. When Staten Island became part of New York City in 1898, the farm would be renamed the New York City Farm Colony.

Fort Wetherill

Submitted by Mike on Mon, 08/08/2011 - 15:15

History: 

Military activity began on this site as early as the 18th century with the British, French and Americans occupying "Dumpling Rock at various points until abandoned in 1779.

In 1798, the US Army began construction of a new fort that, while officially called Fort Louis, and later Fort Brown, would always be known simply as Fort Dumpling.

North Truro AFS

Submitted by Mike on Fri, 08/05/2011 - 15:15

History: 

Operations began here in 1951 with the 762d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron moved in with two WWII-era AN/CPS-3 radars. Its role at this point was as a Ground Control Intercept station, vectoring intercept aircraft toward unidentified targets. In 1955, the AN/FPS-8 radar was added to the base. This system was upgraded to AN/GPS-3 before being removed from service in 1960. In 1956, the primary search radar was the CPS-6B.

Fort Foster

Submitted by Mike on Tue, 08/02/2011 - 15:15

History: 

In 1872, the Federal Government acquired the land to build an additional fort to aid in the protection of the harbour of Portsmouth, NH. The plans called for a combination earthwork / concrete battery comprised of 12 guns. The parapet and gun platforms were finished, as well as 2 magazines when work stopped. Work resumed, briefly, in 1879, stopped again, and all construction abandoned.