New York

Camp Hero

History: 

Camp Hero was established on this strategically important parcel of land in 1942. Montauk, located roughly half way between two major cities, was seen as a likely invasion point, and with German submarines spotted constantly along the coast line, this seemed an ideal location for defense. The Navy and Coast Guard also began developing in the surrounding area, combining to make Camp Hero quite formidable.

Bannerman's Arsenal

History: 

Pollepel Island is located in the Hudson River approximately 80km north of New York City. It was first discovered by early Dutch settlers from New York City, and was widely regarded by the native population to be haunted.

Staten Island Poor Colony

History: 

On October 23, 1829, Richmond County purchased the property from Stephen Martino for $3,000. The Richmond County Poor Farm opened as a home for the sick, homeless, alcoholics, unwanted children and the elderly. When Staten Island became part of New York City in 1898, the farm would be renamed the New York City Farm Colony.

Lockport Paper Mill

History: 

I have been able to determine that this was once a generating station for a paper mill on the opposite side of the street. It opened in the 1920's, and remained in operation for about 40 years. In 2010, the property was purchased by an investor who sees opportunity for the location.

As of July, 2014, the EPA was helping to oversee the eventual demolition of this building because of its asbestos content and growing instability.

Flintkote Factory

This site began life in the 1880's as a paper plant belonging to the Lockport Paper Company. In 1928, Flintkote, an asbestos company, bought out the property and began manufacturing felt for use in automobiles.

In 1971, the plant caught fire, and would soon after become abandoned.

Several other companies would make use of the property in years afterward. Eventually, in 1999, the county foreclosed on the property for back taxes, and promptly discovered how contaminated the site actually was.

German Catholic Orphanage

History: 

The property on which this building stands was purchased for $25,000 as a joint effort of nine parishes. It is alleged that the property was formally a burial ground.

This orphanage was opened June 1, 1875, and administration handled by the Sisters of St. Francis with a starting population of 47 children.