The land on which this building stands was originally purchased from Adam Bernheisel in April, 1810. The almshouse that was subsequently built, and all of the records, were destroyed by fire in 1839. It was rebuilt but became insufficient to suit the needs by 1870.
A report in 1870 indicates that, aside from the main almshouse, there was also a "mad house" on the property. It contained 8 cells for the insane.