Nova Scotia

George's Island

History: 

Originally named Ile a la Raquette (Snowshoe Island), this island located in Halifax harbour was renamed George Island in 1749 after King George II. From the mid-18th century until after World War II, it played a part in the defense of Halifax.

During the 1750's, the island served as a prison of Acadians during the Great Upheaval.