Massachusetts

North Truro AFS

Submitted by Mike on Fri, 08/05/2011 - 15:15

History: 

Operations began here in 1951 with the 762d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron moved in with two WWII-era AN/CPS-3 radars. Its role at this point was as a Ground Control Intercept station, vectoring intercept aircraft toward unidentified targets. In 1955, the AN/FPS-8 radar was added to the base. This system was upgraded to AN/GPS-3 before being removed from service in 1960. In 1956, the primary search radar was the CPS-6B.