Public

Wrigley Mansion

History: 

There are very few mentions of the history of this location online, and those are contradictory. Speaking with a local gentleman walking his dog, this is what I was able to learn.

Made from stone, and the victim of a devastating fire, this beautiful old house, and its scenic property are still being cared for by the current owner. It was built in the '50's, and the Wrigley's were good people who sold the products from their farm to the local community.

Quincy Mine

History: 

The Quincy Mining Company was formed in 1846 as the result of a clerical error. During the great mining rush of the area, the same piece of land was inadvertently sold to two different parties. After discussions between the directors of the two interests, it was decided they should merge their interests and proceed.

Camp Hero

History: 

Camp Hero was established on this strategically important parcel of land in 1942. Montauk, located roughly half way between two major cities, was seen as a likely invasion point, and with German submarines spotted constantly along the coast line, this seemed an ideal location for defense. The Navy and Coast Guard also began developing in the surrounding area, combining to make Camp Hero quite formidable.

Bannerman's Arsenal

History: 

Pollepel Island is located in the Hudson River approximately 80km north of New York City. It was first discovered by early Dutch settlers from New York City, and was widely regarded by the native population to be haunted.

Fort Wetherill

History: 

Military activity began on this site as early as the 18th century with the British, French and Americans occupying "Dumpling Rock at various points until abandoned in 1779.

In 1798, the US Army began construction of a new fort that, while officially called Fort Louis, and later Fort Brown, would always be known simply as Fort Dumpling.

Fort Foster

History: 

In 1872, the Federal Government acquired the land to build an additional fort to aid in the protection of the harbour of Portsmouth, NH. The plans called for a combination earthwork / concrete battery comprised of 12 guns. The parapet and gun platforms were finished, as well as 2 magazines when work stopped. Work resumed, briefly, in 1879, stopped again, and all construction abandoned.

Fort William and Mary

History: 

Fort William and Mary was first constructed by the British in 1632 to defend the harbour at Portsmouth. On December 14, 1774, it was raided by locals led by John Langdon. The garrison of 5 men and one officer were easily overrun by Langdon's 40 volunteers who took 72 barrels of gun powder. A day later, another group of rebels, this time led by John Sullivan, again raided the fort taking all of the arms, supplies and some cannons.