Partially Demolished

Centennial Mine

History: 

An underground copper mine consisting of 7 incline shafts near the community of Centennial, just north of Calumet.

The Schoolcraft Mining Co. was organized in 1863 and worked the Calumet Conglomerate in a small scale operation until it went bankrupt in 1873.

Teleglobe Canada

History: 

Teleglobe traces its origins back to the formation of Canadian Overseas Telecommunications Corporation in 1950. COTC was a Crown Corporation operating as the exclusive provider of telecommunications services to and from Canada, first by VHF radio, later using newer technologies as they became available.

Cobalt Refinery

History: 

The refinery was first opened by Silanco Mining and Refining Company in 1949. A smelter was built by Cobalt Chemical and Refinery Company in 1949, but burned down the following year. It was rebuilt again by 1954 but soon closed again due to changes in the refining process.

Kanichee Mine

History: 

Exploratory mining on this property began before 1920. Among the minerals found here was copper, nickel, gold and silver. Between 1933 and 1936, a shaft would be sunk, and a pilot smelter constructed by Cuniptau Mines Ltd.

St. Nicholas Coal Breaker

History: 

This coal breaker entered service in 1932 after the town, in which it was constructed, was largely relocated to make room for it. Some of the impressive statistics of this facility include 20 miles of railroad track, 3, 800 tons of steel, and 10,000 cubic yards of concrete combining to make this plant happen. When in operation, it took coal only 12 minutes to pass through the entire process, ready to be shipped.