Mining

Osceola Mine 13

History: 

Copper mining began on this site as early as 1873.

On September 7, 1895, a fire broke out on the 27th level of Shaft 3 and was intensified by the timbers used to support the mine. At the time, over 200 people were underground. Of those, 30 people were killed, including 4 boys. All of them appeared to have died of smoke inhalation, and all bodies were eventually recovered.

Quincy Stamp Mill

History: 

The original stamp mill was located close to Houghton, on Portage Lake. Runoff silt from the mill went into the lake, however, and threatened navigation in this important channel. The government threatened heavy fines and so the mill was moved.

Centennial Mine

History: 

An underground copper mine consisting of 7 incline shafts near the community of Centennial, just north of Calumet.

The Schoolcraft Mining Co. was organized in 1863 and worked the Calumet Conglomerate in a small scale operation until it went bankrupt in 1873.

Quincy Mine

History: 

The Quincy Mining Company was formed in 1846 as the result of a clerical error. During the great mining rush of the area, the same piece of land was inadvertently sold to two different parties. After discussions between the directors of the two interests, it was decided they should merge their interests and proceed.

Tyranite Mine

History: 

This mine has apparently had several incarnations over time. The ore body was first staked in 1930 by L.O. Hedlund. Several organizations obtained options to the property over the next few years, but did little with it, and let their options lapse.

Cobalt Silver Mines

History: 

Cobalt is a town founded on silver mining. In 1903, while constructing the railway, silver was discovered, and a town was born. 400 mines later, there isn't much happening in Cobalt today, but there's LOTS to explore.

Additional information available on Wikipedia.


Personal Commentary: 

Kanichee Mine

History: 

Exploratory mining on this property began before 1920. Among the minerals found here was copper, nickel, gold and silver. Between 1933 and 1936, a shaft would be sunk, and a pilot smelter constructed by Cuniptau Mines Ltd.