Military

CFS Armstrong

History: 

Completed in 1954 by the US Air Force, this radar station was part of the Pinetree Line, a group of radar sites across Canada used as part of the defense against the Soviet Union during the Cold War. It was manned by the 914th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron.

At this time, there were no roads linking Armstrong to the outside world. As a result, all food rations and supplies were brought in by way of the CNR Rail line.

Versuchskommando Nord Barracks

History: 

As the facilities at Peenemunde were being constructed, the war was already taking men and material away from the project. Initially, it was attempted to make the V-2 project a high-priority project, guaranteeing the supplies and manpower required, but since Hitler was still not convinced that rockets were the answer to the war, he vetoed those attempts.

Stubbert's Point Battery

History: 

Constructed in 1939, Stubbert's Point Battery was part of the rather formidable defense network for the protection of Sydney, Nova Scotia. The battery was originally equipped with two 6-pounder Hotchkiss guns, but was later equipped with a 6-poinder duplex quick-firing gun. In addition, three search lights were constructed here to help guard the anti-submarine net that stretched across the harbour.

Redcliff AFS

History: 

The location on which the radar station was constructed was originally a World War II coastal battery. Construction of the site began in 1952, and was completed the following year when it officially began operations. It was built, financed and operated by the United States Air Force during its complete life-span of 9 years.

NAS Argentia

History: 

Construction of Naval Air Station (NAS) Argentia began on January 25, 1941 and was completed that July. In order to build this base in anticipation of the US's involvement in World War II, over 400 families were displaced from the land by the Government of Newfoundland. While they had been paid for their property, they were uprooted from land on which generations before them had lived, and moved into other communities that were already struggling with the population they had.