United States

Lockport Generating Station

History: 

I have been able to determine that this was once a generating station for a paper mill on the opposite side of the street. It opened in the 1920's, and remained in operation for about 40 years. In 2010, the property was purchased by an investor who sees opportunity for the location.

As of July, 2014, the EPA was helping to oversee the eventual demolition of this building because of its asbestos content and growing instability.

Flintkote Factory

This site began life in the 1880's as a paper plant belonging to the Lockport Paper Company. In 1928, Flintkote, an asbestos company, bought out the property and began manufacturing felt for use in automobiles.

In 1971, the plant caught fire, and would soon after become abandoned.

Several other companies would make use of the property in years afterward. Eventually, in 1999, the county foreclosed on the property for back taxes, and promptly discovered how contaminated the site actually was.

St. Nicholas Coal Breaker

History: 

This coal breaker entered service in 1932 after the town, in which it was constructed, was largely relocated to make room for it. Some of the impressive statistics of this facility include 20 miles of railroad track, 3, 800 tons of steel, and 10,000 cubic yards of concrete combining to make this plant happen. When in operation, it took coal only 12 minutes to pass through the entire process, ready to be shipped.

Concrete City

History: 

These buildings were opened in 1913 to provide model housing for key, "high value" employees and supervisors of the DL & W Railroad's Coal Division, who paid a rent of $8.00 per month. In 2008 dollars, using the Consumer Price Index, that would be $179.42. One additional requirement of these employees was that they had to speak English as their first language.

Centralia

History: 

Settlement here began as early as 1841, but it wasn’t until 1854 that the town, then known as Centerville, would be formally laid out. In 1865, the Post Office would open, changing the name to Centralia as it would be officially incorporated the following year.

Coal mining was the principal employer in the region until the 1960’s when many of the companies would begin going out of business.