Pennsylvania

St. Nicholas Coal Breaker

History: 

This coal breaker entered service in 1932 after the town, in which it was constructed, was largely relocated to make room for it. Some of the impressive statistics of this facility include 20 miles of railroad track, 3, 800 tons of steel, and 10,000 cubic yards of concrete combining to make this plant happen. When in operation, it took coal only 12 minutes to pass through the entire process, ready to be shipped.

Concrete City

History: 

These buildings were opened in 1913 to provide model housing for key, "high value" employees and supervisors of the DL & W Railroad's Coal Division, who paid a rent of $8.00 per month. In 2008 dollars, using the Consumer Price Index, that would be $179.42. One additional requirement of these employees was that they had to speak English as their first language.

Centralia

History: 

Settlement here began as early as 1841, but it wasn’t until 1854 that the town, then known as Centerville, would be formally laid out. In 1865, the Post Office would open, changing the name to Centralia as it would be officially incorporated the following year.

Coal mining was the principal employer in the region until the 1960’s when many of the companies would begin going out of business.