United States

Quincy Mine

History: 

The Quincy Mining Company was formed in 1846 as the result of a clerical error. During the great mining rush of the area, the same piece of land was inadvertently sold to two different parties. After discussions between the directors of the two interests, it was decided they should merge their interests and proceed.

Camp Hero

History: 

Camp Hero was established on this strategically important parcel of land in 1942. Montauk, located roughly half way between two major cities, was seen as a likely invasion point, and with German submarines spotted constantly along the coast line, this seemed an ideal location for defense. The Navy and Coast Guard also began developing in the surrounding area, combining to make Camp Hero quite formidable.

Staten Island Poor Colony

History: 

On October 23, 1829, Richmond County purchased the property from Stephen Martino for $3,000. The Richmond County Poor Farm opened as a home for the sick, homeless, alcoholics, unwanted children and the elderly. When Staten Island became part of New York City in 1898, the farm would be renamed the New York City Farm Colony.

Fort Wetherill

History: 

Military activity began on this site as early as the 18th century with the British, French and Americans occupying "Dumpling Rock at various points until abandoned in 1779.

In 1798, the US Army began construction of a new fort that, while officially called Fort Louis, and later Fort Brown, would always be known simply as Fort Dumpling.