Teleglobe traces its origins back to the formation of Canadian Overseas Telecommunications Corporation in 1950. COTC was a Crown Corporation operating as the exclusive provider of telecommunications services to and from Canada, first by VHF radio, later using newer technologies as they became available.
This coal breaker entered service in 1932 after the town, in which it was constructed, was largely relocated to make room for it. Some of the impressive statistics of this facility include 20 miles of railroad track, 3, 800 tons of steel, and 10,000 cubic yards of concrete combining to make this plant happen. When in operation, it took coal only 12 minutes to pass through the entire process, ready to be shipped.